Today we will be talking about 5 food items when soaked overnight will help you get the most nutrition out of it! We take so much care with working out, drinking loads of water and eating right. By introducing these few things, you will really up your healthy eating and give you more benefits out of it. So, let’s jump right into it!
- ALMONDS: We all have heard since we were kids to eat almonds because it will boost our memories. Our mothers soaked them overnight, peeled the covering and forced us to eat them. Today I will give you the answer why this is very necessary and probably the best way to eat almonds to get the best out of them! Almonds when soaked in water helps release enzymes called lipase which helps to break down fats which in turn aids our digestion. Soaking them in water also helps to easily peel the brown covering which contains tannins, these tannins inhibit the nutrient absorption and also gives the slight bitter taste to the almonds. Ditch the brown covering and increase your nutrient absorption of vitamin E, omega 3 fatty acids, manganese and etc.
- OATS: We all know how healthy oats are, with its high fiber content which also helps in weight loss and is also rich in protein, magnesium, potassium, and omega 3 fatty acids and many other nutrients. They can be eaten in many different ways, making them a versatile food, but today we will be discussing why you should soak them overnight ! Oats when soaked in any liquid like curd, milk, almond milk or coconut milk helps in releasing more nutrients than the traditional method of cooking with heat where there is loss of nutrients. Soaking them overnight helps them get cooked slowly, without the need of heat. This helps in breakdown of starch and decreases the amount of phytic acid being released leading to our body utilizing the oats nutrients more efficiently. It also increases resistant starch which is a natural carb. It is present in all starchy food but in higher quantities in cold food when compared to hot food. RS aids in weight loss, gives a feeling of fullness and also decreases insulin spikes which occurs in hot food.
- LENTILS: Overnight soaked lentils decrease the time it takes to cook them since its outer hard covering softens by absorbing the water. One of the most important reasons to soak them in water is because it reduces the amount of an acid called phytic acid or phytates which are present in seeds, lentils and legumes. These phytates are a chelating agent which binds with iron manganese, calcium and zinc making them insoluble in our body leading to loss of these nutrients. By sprouting the lentils, we could increase the amount of vitamins like B, D and carotene. Sprouting also produces vitamin C and helps in breaking down some of the sugar present in the lentils. It could also help in decreasing the bloating or formation of gas in the body. All of these reasons are enough for you to next time soak them in water before you cook them!
- CUMIN: Cumin soaked in water helps in digestion by aiding the metabolism. It helps in combating disorders like diarrhea, nausea, flatulence, morning sickness, atonic dyspepsia, malabsorption syndrome and so on. It is rich in calcium and iron which is very good for lactating mother or expecting mother. Cumin water also imparts a good flavor to the water. Cumin water helps detoxify your body of toxins by increasing the bile production in the liver. It also reduces bloating, gas from your body. Cumin soaked in water can also work as anti-acne toner and help fight acne on your face.
- WATER IN COPPER VESSEL: It may sound a little stupid but if water is stored in a copper bottle or vessel for overnight could impart a lot of nutritional benefits to our plain water. The copper metal releases its ions in water which fuses with them. This metal has antimicrobial, anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The water also helps in maintaining the hemoglobin level. Also, the water doesn’t get stale for a real long time once stored in copper vessels. Copper has properties to aid digestion by increasing the peristalsis movement, it also kills any bacteria present. Copper is the trace element needed for the thyroid gland and its deficiency could lead to hyperthyroidism or even hypothyroidism. So, having the water stored in copper vessels combats thyroid disorder. Copper has potent anti-inflammatory properties which helps in relieving pain in the joints due to rheumatoid arthritis. Copper also has bone and immunity strengthening properties. So, all in all there are just too many benefits of water stored in copper vessels and you should start reaping it by taking it!