The coronavirus – COVID 19 pandemic is the most challenging health crisis that we have faced in the longest of time, affecting life of citizens around the Globe including their daily routine, work, travel etc.
COVID-19 risks to pregnant women and the baby:
Although there is no proof that COVID-19 affects pregnant women different from other patients, it is known fact that pregnant women might have respiration problem more than the others. Hence an extra caution is advised for pregnant women at this time. Also their existing conditions like hypertension, gestational diabetes, overweight might put them at risk.
After birth, the newborn can be infected after being in close contact with an infected mom. But doctors do not recommend separating an infected mother from her newborn unless she is too sick to care for the baby.
As per WHO, Pregnant women should take the same precautions to avoid COVID-19 infection as other people. You can help protect yourself by:
- Washing your hands frequently with an alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Keeping space between yourself and others and avoiding crowded spaces. Wear a non-medical, fabric mask where it is not possible to keep sufficient physical distance between yourself and others.Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Practicing respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
Pregnancy brings with it a wave of blissfulness for the expecting mother as well as for her loved ones. As the world is struggling with the Corona virus health crisis, it has become even more crucial to take care of the diet and lifestyle of the pregnant woman.
There are 5 essential items that should be on their plate, like:
- Fruits and vegetables:Focus on more of veg and fruits and that of different colours.
- General food items like chapati, roti and rice should be there in their daily diet
- Milk & milk products like curd, chenna etc. form an important part of the pregnancy diet
- Food items that are rich in protein like fish, chicken, egg, soybean, pulses are highly recommended for a pregnant woman
- Have some dry fruits like almond, walnut etc.
- Take immune boosters regularly which include Haldi, citrus fruits, ginger, honey, etc.
- Due to hormonal imbalance, there will be huge anxiety, so do some pranayama & meditations before sleep.
- Do some antenatal yoga in the early morning.
- create positive affirmation cards for yourself by listening to music, watching positive vivid movie & spending quality time with family members.
- Just switch off the news, use social media or phone to connect with your close ones, but disconnect from everything else going on outside.