A gallbladder is a small organ below the liver in the upper right abdomen. It is a pouch that stores bile, a green yellow liquid that helps with digestion. The formation of gallstones usually takes place when there is too much cholesterol in the bile.
According to Harvard Health Publications, 80 percent of gallstones are made of cholesterol while the other 20 percent are made of calcium salts and bilirubin. Gallstones are lumps or stones that develop in the gallbladder when certain substance hardens. The problem of gallstones may lead to an inflamed gallbladder.
Affected age group
51 & above
Symptoms of gallstones
The primary symptom is pain that comes suddenly and gets worse in no time. This pain can occur on the right side of the body, right below the ribs, in the right shoulder, or between shoulder blades.
Other symptoms include:
- Pain in your upper belly and upper back lasting for several hours
- Other digestive problems, including bloating, indigestion and heartburn, and gas
- Gallbladder cancer
- Pancreas inflammation
- Sepsis, a blood infection
- Cholangitis, a bile duct infection
- Cholecystitis, a gallbladder infection
- Jaundice, a yellowish tint to your skin or eyes
Diet tips for gallstones
- Bell peppers
- Citrus fruits
- Dark, leafy greens
To know more about the disease and ways to cure it naturally, consult Dietitian Shreya and take the first & important move towards your journey of a healthy lifestyle.
You may call us on 730-730-3835 or drop your message at firstname.lastname@example.org